One of the things I do when I am first envisioning a novel is mine for memories. This helps me form a new character and hone in on what I want to say in the book. It helps me figure out the emotional arc…and why the character won’t leave me alone!
(that’s me playing Dolly Levi in 1979. You can read my audition story HERE!)
- Memories from that performance:
- fear that someone would say, “That girl can’t sing.”
- happiness that I made it down the steps without falling.
- Tripping on roses left on the catwalk by family and friends.
- Trying to make sense of friendships/relationships/the kind that rest between friendship and more.
- Short hair (and the director’s surprise when he saw me.) Why did I cut it???